The Handbook of Universal Foresight: Impact, Methodology and Practice
Call for Chapters – Submissions Due by June 30th, 2021
Target Publication Period: Winter 2021/2022
Why to contribute to The Handbook of Universal Foresight?
The Handbook of Technology Foresight (THoTF) has been serving the foresight community for over ten years, thus the time is ripe to review the past decade of foresight practices around the world and offer fresh perspectives to foresight practitioners.
Universal Foresight will look into new and emerging theory and practice of foresight and provide a more holistic overview of the discipline, hence the working title of this new book compilation is The Handbook of Universal Foresight: Impact, Methodology and Practice. The work will investigate foresight practice by world regions, type of application, and by areas of science, in order to bring together the knowledge of foresight evolution, methodology, impacts, outcomes, benefits, practice, evaluation, and tools. Furthermore, the work will consider the possible futures of foresight; would it be better than expected, worse than expected or completely unexpected?
While THoTH focuses mainly on national level activities, The Handbook of Universal Foresight aims to explore wide-ranging global/international, national and local initiatives. One book. One community. Countless examples of foresight practice under one ‘roof’.
The Handbook will be a vital reading for (1) policymakers considering, commissioning, or using foresight; (2) companies concerned about their long-term future and how to better assess and manage opportunities ahead; (3) academics and researchers working in foresight, futures and STI policy and management.
We invite leading experts and practitioners to contribute chapters analysing foresight experiences in Africa, Americas, Europe, Eastern Mediterranean, South-East Asia, and Western Pacific regions.
The Handbook is designed to offer a holistic overview of foresight theory and practice, covering all world regions. The book will be edited by foresight experts providing strong international coverage, including Rafael Popper (VTT, Finland), Lonny Brooks (United States), Kerstin Cuhls (Germany), Monika Popper (Futures Diamond, United Kingdom), Alexander Sokolov (Higher School of Economics, Russia), and Guillermo Velasco (Polytechnic University of Madrid, Spain).
Submitting a Chapter Abstract
We are accepting submissions of chapter abstracts for The Handbook of Universal Foresight: Impact, Methodology and Practice until 30.06.2021. Leading authors and contributors will be selected based on a combined score resulting from a: (1) Delphi survey response; (2) citations, advisory roles and outreach; (3) relevance of insights provided in targeted interviews; (4) response to open call for chapters; and (5) co-editors approval.
The book is structured around 6 main parts and 36 chapters. We welcome submissions of abstracts (up to 500 words) for any of the chapters listed below.
- Part 2 on FORESIGHT PRACTICE BY WORLD REGIONS
7. Foresight in Africa
8. Foresight in Asia
9. Foresight in Australia
10. Foresight in Europe
11. Foresight in North America
12. Foresight in South Africa
- Part 3 on FORESIGHT PRACTICE BY TYPE OF APPLICATION
13. Foresight for Science and Research Policy
14. Foresight for Technology Development
15. Foresight for Sustainability and Society
16. Foresight for Businesses and Organisations
17. Foresight for Territorial and Urban Development
18. Foresight for Wicked-Problems and Moonshots
- Part 4 on FORESIGHT PRACTICE BY AREAS OF SCIENCE
19. Foresight on Natural Sciences
20. Foresight on Engineering and Technology
21. Foresight on Medical Sciences
22. Foresight on Agricultural Sciences
23. Foresight on Social Sciences
24. Foresight on Humanities
- Abstract submission closes June 30th, 2021
- First draft of chapters due September 30th, 2021
- Final chapters due November 30th, 2021
- Planned date for book submission - Winter 2021/2022